With construction moving forward this year in the Central Valley, and with the HSR project more secure politically, Californians for High-Speed Rail (CA4HSR) is refocusing our mission on accelerating construction, monitoring project implementation, and expanding our educational and outreach efforts. Listed below are our top priorities for 2013 and beyond.
Top Policy Priorities
- Explore, propose, and support strategies to accelerate construction of the Bakersfield-Palmdale Section.
- Build support for HSR in Bakersfield (and Kern County).
- Monitor implementation of early investments in the bookends to ensure they are consistent with the statewide HSR program (esp. Caltrain Electrification).
- Explore, propose, and support strategies to accelerate construction of the tunnel to the new Transbay Transit Center
- Monitor the planning process for the redesign of Los Angeles Union Station to ensure it will accommodate HSR efficiently.
Top Education/Outreach Priorities
- Continue to educate the public about the benefits of HSR and debunk opponent lies and distortions.
- Expand stakeholder outreach efforts.
- Organize several educational forums on key topics regarding California’s HSR project.
- Increase the frequency of e-mail communications, including the restructuring of The High-Speed Rail Advocate e-newsletter so it is shorter and more frequent.
- Initiate a quarterly print newsletter (funding permitting).
Throughout this year, we will be delving into each of these topics in more detail and providing updates on each.
CA4HSR is looking forward to a great year for California’s HSR project!
President & Executive Director, Californians For High Speed Rail